In 1993, the South African government introduced the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) as part of its commitment to protecting workers’ rights. The OHSA outlines basic principles for ensuring workplace safety, including:
- providing adequate training for staff on how to safely perform their jobs;
- conducting regular risk assessments;
- maintaining proper ventilation systems;
- using protective equipment when necessary;
- keeping up-to-date records on accidents or injuries at work sites; and
- reporting any hazardous incidents or conditions immediately so they can be addressed promptly.
Understanding the importance occupational health and safety (OHS) is essential to every business owner, in more ways than one. These regulations not only help protect employees from potential hazards in the workplace, but they also benefit employers too.
Having an effective OHS system allows a business to remain competitive, as it:
- reduces costs related to absenteeism due to illness caused by an unsafe working environment.
- improves employee morale through better job satisfaction knowing they’re protected from harm.
- increases productivity due fewer delays resulting from accidents.
A strong OHS policy not only benefits the individual organisation but society overall – making sure everyone has the right to work without fear of injury while doing so. Therefore, if you own or operate a business in South Africa, make sure your company adheres to the OHSA to keep your keep team safe and happy!
To ensure compliance with OHS, Aprolasa WC has compiled a complete list of essential services that include everything from OHS compliance and management system audits to compiling safety files.
We are here to help you keep your employees safe by ensuring that advisory and consultative services are in place and risk assessments done. We can assist you with a fall protecting plan in case of an incident that leads to injury, as well as the requirements for a proper incident and accident investigation.
We have extensive experience in all aspects of Occupational Health & Safety and are proud to promote our range of services that complement OHS namely, medical surveillance as well as general medical examinations.
Our services apply to all business environments. We will assist you in studying illness and injury trends no matter your industry and provide the solutions to mitigate the risks. These include the effective use of PPE and what the responsibility of business owners are when it comes to providing the necessary clothing and equipment.
Furthermore, we also facilitate the implementation of OHS in the workplace by offering SHE representative training, Level 1 First Aid training as well as Level 1 Fire Fighting training.
We are committed to designing and implementing ongoing efficient methods of implementing OHS services at affordable rates for all industries.
Contact us today for more information: Jean: 082 301 3866 / Christiaan: 061 465 6077 / Lee-Andrew: 079 884 4202